We’re making progress towards owning a home. Maybe putting in a offer tonight. Hopefully we’ll close in 45 days.
In this new house, there’s the perfect spot to have a tv area and an area between the kitchen and living room for a record cabinet (or bar)- providing easy access from all areas of the downstairs.
I’ve been looking for more ways to make the furniture I own more functional, so I ditched a lot of the limited-use pieces and currently have the records siting on the floor under a make-shift TV stand. We had a great entertainment center, but it was huge and heavy. I didn’t want to move it again, so I sold it and have been on the lookout for a replacement ever since.
Friday, I found this lovely dresser free on craigslist.
As you can see, it’s missing a drawer which is fine for my purposes. It came with the bottom bar that was originally beneath the second drawer.
My plan: take out the big drawer. Put in a bottom shelf- face the shelf with the original curved bar piece. Paint the inside. Fix the warped veneer on the top. And, either paint or stain the top.
My tools: vinegar water, iron (which is now ruined), towel (which is also ruined), my best spatula (which might be salvageable…), and lots and lots of time.
The process: Part of the veneer was warped and cracked. I thought it would be easy, but it wasn’t. The woman from pinterest was sadly mistaken about the ease of the project. Wet the wood with vinegar water- cover with damp towel- let iron sit on towel for 8-10 minutes- scrape laboriously at a tiny section of loosened veneer.
The worst part: once you start, you have no choice but to finish.
So I did.
The glue is still drying and I need another coat of paint before I load it up. I’ll post a finished picture when we move ;)
I love the original knobs on the drawers, the curved drawer faces, the casters, and the tiny brass keyholes.
Including the chisel and paint I purchased, this whole project cost me $12.00